Monday, December 12, 2011

...and Amanita muscaria

Found a nice patch of these just a mile from my home here in Auburn, right near a stand of loblolly pines.  It's an amazing trove of sporocarps in all stages, from the just emergent buttons to large individuals with planar pilei and the warts on the caps washed off.  These are your poster children for the mushroom.  If you see a mushroom represented in the media, it's usually one of these guys.  From the home of the Smurfs to Mario Bros and on and on and on.  
I went out looking just in the neighborhood with one of my friends, and we can upon scads of things.  More to follow...

1 comment:

Norm said...

Hey that is a cool pic of an Amanita muscaria. I did not know they grew in Alabama. I'm down in Dothan and I wonder if I could find one or two. I like reading your blog.