Friday, February 25, 2011

George Washington Carver Museum

Bust of George Washington Carver outside the museum

 Yesterday my daughter's second grade class went on a field trip to the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site just a bit down the road from here.  Even though I had a field trip of my own to contend with in the afternoon (keep posted, details after the second trip today), I had to go for at least part of the trip, as George Washington Carver is a hero of mine.

Peephole into pictures of mushroom!
 I was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely display of mushrooms and other fungi displayed prominently near the entrance.  Fungi were one of Dr. Carver's many interests, and his Master's of Agriculture from what is now Iowa State University was in Plant Pathology.
Another peephole


Ascomycetes
 I especially appreciate that the macrofungi were separated into their proper divisions,
Basidiomycetes
 And I also liked this illustration of a powdery mildew cleistothecium.  As well as being a botanist, agricultural chemist, philanthropist (within his means), and inventor, he was also something of an artist. 
One of Dr. Carver's illustrations of a powdery mildew ascoma.
  I didn't remember the fungal display from my last visit, which was many years ago, but it just reinforced my fondness for this great man. 

No comments: