Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Phyllotopsis nidulans

Just got out in the woods yesterday. Probably my last time at this site over near Tuscaloosa. I came upon these lovely orange babies on a snag.
They look superficially like oysters, but on pine? No, these are the orange mock oyster, Phyllotopsis nidulans. Astipitate (without a stipe or stalk), on wood, these ones didn't smell fetid to me though they are reported to be nasty smelling. The pileus is fluffy in appearance on the top.


I just recently discovered another mycoblog, Mycorant. They have a link to my blog (thanks!) and do have some of the same material (i.e. fungal news), but a lot more of it. Did they get the inspiration for the name from looking upon my blog? Maybe. I'd like to think that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I recommend checking it out.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hello and thanks for the mention of MycoRant (although I'm not sure how I could have come up with the name MycoRant from looking at your blog the "Alabamycologist" [?]). Or, is that you consider yourself a ranter as well? :-)

I do post links of what I consider to be the most important, interesting or entertaining news items, but I am slowly working toward expanding with more in-depth and original content. You gotta' start somewhere!

Anyway, thanks for keeping the mycoblogosphere alive and well. If you wanted to trade guest posts sometime, I think that would be great. Best wishes from Colorado!